Preserving The Rocks

Since 1900 the historic fabric of The Rocks was slowly demolished as old gave way to new. Today, the New South Wales Government actively preserves and promotes this important fragment of early Sydney.

Public concerns to preserve the historic buildings of The Rocks can be traced back as early as 1939 when the Commissariat Store on Circular Quay was demolished. By the 1960s, faced with high-rise development, local residents joined forces with trades unions, planners, historians and lawyers to ensure the historic values of The Rocks were preserved.

ASN Co Building, 1-5 Hickson rd, 1970
1-5 Hickson Rd, The Rocks NSW 2000, Australia
95-99 George st, 1980
95 George St, The Rocks NSW 2000, Australia
140-142 Cumberland st, 1980
140-142 Cumberland St, The Rocks NSW 2000, Australia
32 Harrington st, 1980
32 Harrington St, The Rocks NSW 2000, Australia
117 Gloucester st, 1980
117-117A Gloucester St, The Rocks NSW 2000, Australia
Campbell Stores, 7-27 Circular Quay West, c1970
7-27 Circular Quay W, The Rocks NSW 2000, Australia
26-30 Gloucester St, 1970
26 Gloucester St, The Rocks NSW 2000, Australia
178-180 Cumberland st, 1980
178 Cumberland St, The Rocks NSW 2000, Australia
38-40 Gloucester st, 1980
38 Gloucester St, The Rocks NSW 2000, Australia
Johnsons Building, 233-235 George st, 1970
George St, The Rocks NSW 2000, Australia