The Raphael & Mackellar Stores were erected in 1853-4 as sandstone warehouses, and possibly as stables, and later used for small-scale manufacturing activities. Vacated in the 1980s the buildings were left disused for several years. They still contain some machinery related to their former manufacturing and store functions by Stanton Catchlove (1930s-80s). Although commonly known and referred to in the past as 'The Coach House', it is unlikely that the building was ever used as a coach house.
The Raphael & Mackellar Stores are two narrow stone buildings facing Kendall Lane, built respectively by merchant Joseph George Raphael and Dr Frederick Mackellar. They were built along the rear boundary of the properties now called Unwins Stores, Nos. 77, 79 and 81 George Street North (earlier known as Nos. 81, 83 and 85 George Street respectively) which were also owned and occupied by Raphael and Mackellar.
The Stores are generally considered as distinct from the George Street properties they originally served, as they were often tenanted separately.