Sergeant Majors Row, Nos. 33-41 George Street, is historically significant as part of the late 19th century development in The Rocks. With the adjacent buildings, Nos. 29-31 George Street, they remain as representative examples of a late Victorian terrace and residential development located in this section of George Street. Constructed in c. 1881 by local merchant, Edward Stanley Ebsworth, as speculative buildings, they were used as single dwellings and boarding houses for nearly 100 years when the use of the buildings shifted to commercial and retail uses which reflects the evolution of the area and development of The Rocks into a commercial and tourist precinct.