The study area occupies Lots 2, 3, 4 (part) and 7 of Section 64 of the city block bounded by Cumberland, Essex, Gloucester and Grosvenor Streets. Whilst more research is needed it appears that Sarah and William Fielder were the first occupants of the land. William was convicted of highway robbery with John Cobcroft, and John Wood and they were sentenced to death at the 7 May 1788 Old Bailey sessions but the sentence was commuted to transportation for life.
William was also known as William Fubbs, and Jack the Gardiner.He came out on the Scarbourgh in the Second Fleet in 1790 and was lucky to survive the voyage as 28% of the convicts on board died and 37% were ill on arrival. His wife Sarah also came out on the Second Fleet as a freewoman on the Neptune. Although no record had been located as yet, it appears that William was assigned to her.
Science House was used continuously since the building was constructed until 1976 by a number of institutions as a centre of learning and scientific inquiry.The building reflects Sydney's and Australia's scientific, intellectual and cultural development of the time from three institutions' amalgamation of activities, occupying a building especially designed for their requirements. This idea of a shared home befittingthe needs of several organisations was a novel idea to Sydney.