Playfair's Garage, the former Turnbull workshop, has historical significance as one of the few remaining early twentieth century industrial buildings within The Rocks area, and partly stands on the site of Lawrence Kendall's steam flour mill from the 1850s. The current building was also associated with government welfare activity, being used as a food relief depot during the Great Depression of 1929-32. Playfair's Garage was the subject of a green ban by the Builders Labourers Federation, following the demolition of the smaller buildings at the rear of the site (what is now known as Scarborough House). The episode in October 1973, became known as the Battle for The Rocks, and gained nation-wide media attention, highlighting the protests to preserve the rights of local residents and better planning processes. The site thus has an important place in the events that led to the preservation of The Rocks.