The Police Station at 127-129 George Street was designed by James Barnet during his term as Colonial Architect (1862-1890). During his tenure Barnet oversaw the design of 155 police stations throughout the state, mostly located in regional towns and of a domestic scale reflective of their dual role as residences. The Police Station at 127-129 George Street is arguably the most elaborate of Barnet's Police Stations and is also one of his finest small scale buildings.
The building has associations with Police Commissioners James Mitchell (1914-1929) and Walter Henry Childs (1930-35) who both served for many years at 127-129 George Street from soon after it opened. Mitchell also served as the officer in charge during the Rocks Resumption period.