This building was the last constructed in a row of three stone and brick buildings (28-32 Harrington St), and is among the earliest surviving houses in Sydney, built between 1829 and 1834. The row occupies a block of land between George, Argyle, and Harrington Streets and Suez Canal that formerly was associated with the site of the 1788 Assistant Surgeon's residence, later occupied by the first colonial architect, Francis Greenway. 28-30 Harrington Street was built by convict blacksmith William Reynolds and is an example of early 19th century housing built by pardoned convicts who remained in NSW and practised trades or professions. Reynolds was a friend and neighbour of fellow ex-convict Michael Gannon, and the two were responsible for many houses in the vicinity. Reynolds died after a fall from a ladder onto Harrington Street in 1840 while inspecting the loft of No 32. The property remained in the family's possession until the latter 19th century.