The site was part of the Hospital (1790-1816) and was subsequently purchased by William Davis who developed part of the site for commercial and residential use. It passed to his heirs and a number of local land owners and speculators including local businessman (butcher) and one time Mayor of Sydney, Thomas Playfair. Playfair constructed the current buildings in the early 1880s, as well as other buildings in the local area.
No. 121 has been used as bakery/ refreshment room and café since the 1920s. Nos. 123-125 have been associated with prominent Australian artist, Ken Done, and been used as a gallery and shop for Done merchandising since the late 1980s.